Métis artist and educator, Diane Montreuil, with the support of the Artists’ Network’s Leslie Grove Gallery, is hosting Wisdom of Kinship – Indigenous Art Exhibition. Diane is inviting all Indigenous artists, self-identifying as First Nations, Inuit, or Métis, whose work explores kinship and community within their culture, to submit to this Exhibition. This juried show will run from August 4th through to August 22nd and feature original 2D or 3D works of any medium, including painting, mixed media, printmaking, photography, drawing, sculpture, as well as beadwork, basketry and textiles. Diane has invited Nathalie Bertin, a Métis multi-disciplinary artist, to join her in jurying this show.
Depending on the COVID-19 restrictions, Wisdom of Kinship, will, hopefully, be hung in the Leslie Grove Gallery; otherwise, it will be an exclusively virtual show at lesliegrovegallerystore.ca
Diane and Nathalie will jury all the submissions choosing approximately 20-30 pieces to be hung in the gallery and featured in the Leslie Grove Gallery store and potentially select as many as 10 to 15 more works from the remaining submissions to be included in the online store.
Introducing the Jurors Diane Montreuil and Nathalie Bertin
Submission Deadline: Sunday, July 18, 2021 — 11:59 pm
Accepted artists will be notified on or before: July 23, 2021
Wisdom of Kinship Exhibition: August 4-22, 2021
Virtual Opening: Thursday August 5, 2021 — 7 pm
Drop off artwork at Leslie Grove Gallery: Sunday, August 1, 2021 — 5 – 7 pm*
Pick up artwork at Leslie Grove Gallery: Sunday, August 22, 2021 — 5 – 7pm*
*Please, contact galley to arrange alternative dates and times
Thursday August 5, 2021 — 7 pm
A special evening will open with the sharing of storytelling, song and drumming with Grandmother Kim, Anishinaabe (Ojibway/Pottawatomi) band member of Shawanaga First Nation. Selected artists of the Exhibition will chat with our hosts, Diane Montreuil and Nathalie Bertin, about their work as it reflects wisdom of kinship in their family and community. Guests will be free to ask questions of our hosts or artists, or comment on the evening.
Guidelines for a Successful Submission
- Make sure to follow ALL submission guidelines. Quality images are extremely important, especially as we move into on-line spaces. Always put your best foot forward.
- Submissions should be cohesive in medium, style, and subject. Avoid artworks that are too similar unless they are considered one piece, such as a diptych.
- Consider varying the size of the artworks offered. Perhaps a larger piece doesn’t fit within the exhibition, while a smaller piece does, or vice versa.
- Most importantly, try to approach the call from a unique point of view. Originality, technical use of materials and interpreation of theme are heavily weighted.
- Please note that the jurying process considers the overall exhibition, with the intention of offering a variety of styles, materials, and approaches. With this in mind, jurors are assessing each artwork submitted not only on its own merits, but also on how it complements the exhibition. Generally, jurors only select one work from any accepted artist.
Be in the Know & Get the Most out of Promotion
The Artists’ Network manages a number of social platforms for announcements, and the Leslie Grove Gallery shows will be promoted across multiple handles. We need you to follow, share on the following platforms:
Follow us and comment on our posts!
Like and follow our pages:
Please follow our channel. This is where we will post show OPENINGS & INTERVIEWS when available:
Artists’ Network: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS-19YgudMoEOGy-g2E0Pvg
When you post an image tag with @lesliegrovegallery and state “to see great artists follow @lesliegrovegallery”. Highlight your process videos, installation pieces or images.
Terms and Conditions
Accepted artwork MUST be exclusively available for sale and NOT posted on another e-commerce website for the show’s duration.
FOR SHOWS ON-LINE ONLY, Artist agrees to respond to all customer inquires received by the Leslie Grove Gallery and arrange for the delivery and shipment of sold artwork, at the cost of the artist or buyer.
FOR SHOWS HUNG IN THE LESLIE GROVE GALLERY, Please, click here for detailed hanging requirements, failure to adhere to these practices can result in your work being omitted from the show. All art must be suitable for installation, which includes where applicable:
- Completely dry, set, cured, fixed, or protected.
- Works on paper and board must be framed and mounted.
- Label on the back with title, artist, price, size, medium, year.
- Secure d-ring hanging attachments affixed 1 1/2″ below the top edge of the work, wired.
- Sculpture, glass, or 3D work may require the Artist to supply a stand mount it on.
Artists’ Network Obligations:
- Managing and maintaining the Leslie Grove Gallery and the lesliegrovegallerystore.ca, including processing sales .
- Commission of 30% on gallery and e-commerce sales, including 5% processing fee. All proceeds from the Exhibition will be donated to the Woodland Cultural Centre’s Save the Evidence Campaign.
- Marketing virtual show, including the Leslie Grove Galley website, Artists’ Network emails, social media platforms and public event listings. Organic promotional posts through the Leslie Grove Gallery and Artists’ Network social media platforms
- This form can not be saved. It must be completed and sent.
- * Required fields. If left blank, an error message will appear when you click Submit.
- If you do not have a website or social contacts, please type N/A in the field.
- Submit up to three artworks
- Image files must be titled in the following format:
- FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_TITLE_PRICE_MEDIUM_SIZE (HxW)_YEAR.jpeg
- Artist’s Statement: how your work relates to the theme of the Exhibition: Wisdom of Kinship (350 characters)
If you have any problems with this submission process, email or call the gallery at 416 465-0302.